As a child, I thought Popeye the Sailor Man’s super-spinach strength was a grownups’ decoy to get us kids each veggies!
But guess what… Spinach is THAT healthy!
Palak (Spinach) is regarded as a superfood as it contains iron, magnesium, and calcium. It helps in weight reduction, boosts bone health, improves brain function, and makes your body as strong as iron. And, why not? Many people don’t know but spinach contains high amounts of vitamin C which makes a power combo with iron in spinach to allow maximum iron absorption into your body.
But unfortunately, many people, especially kids, don’t like to eat spinach. But with this Palak Pulao recipe, you can create some funky-looking green rice that is delectable, nutritious, and yummy looking. Serve them with a side of Zeera raita and quick Cucumber Onion Pickle!
Palak Rice | Spinach Rice | Palak Pulao
- March 19, 2021
- Print this
- Spinach 500gm approx
- Rice 1/2 kg
- Onion 2 medium
- Ginger 1/2 tbsp
- Garlic 1/2 tbsp
- Green Chilli 2 whole
- Coriander Cumin 2.5 tbsp
- Garam Masala 1 tbsp
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Black pepper 1 tsp
- Chilli Flakes 1 tsp
- Black Cardamom 2
- Green Cardamom 4
- Cumin stick 1 inch
- Cloves 3 to 4
- Cumin whole 1 tsp
- Water 1 cup or as per need
- Step 1
- 1: Pour olive oil into a saucepan.
- Step 2
- 2: Add green chili, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamon.
- Step 3
- 3: Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped onion, and fry them on medium flame.
- Step 4
- 4: Add cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, chili, turmeric, and garam masala.
- Step 5
- 5: Pour in water to make broth.
- Step 6
- 6: Add chopped spinach after 5 minutes.
- Step 7
- 7: Cook spinach on a medium flame for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 8
- 8: Now add soaked basmati rice.
- Step 9
- 9: Add hot water if required and let it cook for a few minutes with the lid covered.
Delicious Palak Pulao is ready to be served!